Friday, 25 January 2013

PBP- B is for Book of Shadows


I'm sure a lot of blogs will be posting about their Book of Shadows for one of their B posts. There will be lots of lovely pictures and inspiring stories about how people have built their books. I will look forward to reading them but I also have to admit I'll also be a little jealous.

Years ago, when I first started to look in to paganism, I bought a blank leather bound book with a pentagram on the cover. Over time I filled it with correspondences, moon information, spells, rituals, basic information on pantheons and anything else that I took an interest in. There was little to no organisation and a lot of what I wrote I no longer use but the book is one of the few things I kept. When it was full I began to write notes on loose leaf paper that I kept in a folder. Unfortunately I later threw all of these away when I went through a bit of a dark period faith wise and now I can no longer remember what was in them.

Since I began re-building my own path a few years ago I have started to keep notes in a small notebook or on the PC. I would love to start a book of shadows at some point but I am a bit hesitant to start. I am still very much in the beginning stages of building a workable religion and I change my mind on things on what feels like an almost daily basis. I also have no idea what I would put in my book or even how I would like it to be set out.

I love the idea of making a scrapbook of shadows, an idea I found visiting a forum. The problem is whilst I have a creative mind, I don’t have a creative bone in my body and I'm worried that anything I tried to make would never match up to my expectations. I have also considered the idea of a loose leaf binder, an idea that seems to be a pretty popular one, but I don’t want pages and pages of just words. Again I worry that whatever I make will fail to match up to how I picture it in my head.

For now I am going to stick to my note pad but maybe next year I’ll be able to post pictures of my beautiful book, in whatever form it may be.




5 comments:

  1. I'm just starting on my path, and building up my book is a big task *nods* so I know how ya feel. Loose-leaf 3 ring binders are great for the reorganizing bit, and with a computer paint program (MS paint usually comes on every Windows computer) and a word program and some help, you can have as many pictures as you like! and if you use page protectors or holepunch envelopes yo ucan stick flowers and feathers and such in your book as well, just make sure to properly seal the envelopes somehow in case you drop your book! wouldn't be fun for your carefully collected feathers to go flying away on the wind now would it?

    As for your expectations, try leaving them at the door one day and just go for it, you might be pleasently surprized! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your suggestions, they are definitely going in the 'to consider' pile.
      I think you might be right about leaving my expectations at the door. I am going to start by making a list of what I would like my BoS to include and see where that leads me.

      Delete
  2. Take a deep breath and plunge in anyway (my way of saying what Storm said!). Call your notebook your First Draft of Shadows if you have to—at least you'll have a notebook to refer to. And the Scrapbook of Shadows idea sounds really fun—you could go in all sorts of directions with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of calling it a first draft of shadows. It takes all the pressure off.

      Delete
  3. I use the same techniques as Storm does in making my BOS. I use the binder technique using fancy scrap-booking paper and add pictures, stickers, feathers, and other fun embellishments to the pages. While it's true that the artwork is not my own, the fact remains that the arrangement is. If you use the binder technique, it makes it very easy to add and take away information. It's also kind of fun to cut up old bits and use the to make something new and improved.

    ReplyDelete